Aging is manifested in the loss of volume in the upper face and below the eyes. JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC from Allergan is the first injectable gel approved to replace this volume loss in the upper face.
When we're young our "baby face" signals to the world our youth and inexperience. As we age the the collagen in our skin decreases in thickness and the fat in our face shrinks and moves downward.
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC replaces that loss facial volume, helping to restore your youthful look and minimize the signs of aging, such as hollow eyes and shallow cheeks.
Photographs are used for illustrative and teaching examples only. Results vary by person. Limitations of sun exposure and good diet and exercise habits may positively influence your results.
What is JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC helpful in treating?
- Volume loss below the eyes (tear trough)
- Volume loss in the mid-face, cheek area
Juvederm Voluma Described As A "Lifter" in this video on Facial Contouring. Dr. Arthur Swift talks about the differences between the original Juvederm cosmetic filler and Voluma cheek contouring.
...a product that is amazing for cheek recontouring, we develop what we call the OG curve, or a nice smooth curve on the cheek...Dr. Swift on Voluma
What to expect from an JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC treatment:
A consultation for new patients.
Depending on individual goals and the condition of your skin, a pre-treatment plan may be recommended to prepare your skin for a JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC procedure. This may include a reduction in blood thinning products such as aspirin prior to your treatment.
The JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC procedure can take as little as forty-five minutes. There can be discomfort with the injection, this can vary by injection site and patient.
Bruising is always possible with a JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injection, please plan your schedule to accommodate for the possibility of bruising. Usually no downtown is experienced.
Treatments are usually repeated every six to eighteen months.
Things to consider when requesting a JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC Cosmetic treatment:
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC is made of hyaluronic acid with a patented methodology of production. Hyaluronic acid is naturally produced in your body and it's production slows as we age. Results from JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC are seen immediately and can last as long as two years.
During your consultation the Spa 35 staff will review contraindications that prevent you from being a candidate for JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC.
Bruising can occur at the injection site. Depending upon your treatment choice a number of injections may be done into the treatment area. Each of these injections has a risk of bruising and infection. Refer to the informed consent form that is provided prior to the treatment for a full listing of risks.
Some of the steps of a typical procedure include;
- Completion of a consultation with a skin care specialist. During this consultation patient concerns and goals are discussed. This can include development of a comprehensive plan to reach those goals that includes Spa 35 procedures and at home lifestyle changes and skin care habits.
- Establish any pre-procedure routines. This may include the cessation of blood thinning agents such as aspirin prior to the injections.
- Schedule the JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injections. Please be sure your schedule allows for post injection bruising. While bruising is infrequent it does occur. And it always seems to occur when and important event is forth coming.
- Have the procedure done.
- Follow the post procedure instructions. This may include icing/cooling of the treatment area to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Improve lifestyle habits that produce damaged skin. Increase healthy food intake that is rich in nutrients good for you and your skin (i.e. oranges for vitamin C), use a sunscreen with physical blocks (i.e. titanium dioxide), add Retin-A, vitamin C and peptides to your skin care regime.
How does JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC work?
As we age we lose volume in our face from decreased amounts of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and fat. This volume loss can make our faces look shallow and create hollow areas under the eyes. It may also increase the number and impact of skin wrinkles as the same volume of skin is covering a smaller volume of facial structure. Made from a synthetic version of hyaluronic acid, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC replaces the loss volume, and adds volume to areas of the face typically fuller in our youth. Replacing the lost volume can restore a more youthful appearance and improve the appearance of wrinkles.
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC Frequently Asked Questions
Is JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC safe?
Yes, the FDA has reviewed and approved JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel for use in the mid-face area. There are warnings for patients that have allergies to lidocaine. The FDA and Allergan have published a lot of documentation on the safety of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC. Allergan has published a fact sheet on JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel that you can download with this link.
How long will JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC last?
The JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC material is found under the skin for up to eighteen months. Some patients may want to be treated more frequently to maintain their desired results. Predicting the longevity of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC is dependent upon the individual and their procedure.
How much does JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC cost?
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC is sold by the injected syringe. Pricing vary, to get current pricing please contact us. When considering Juvederm injections note that an individual procedure may include multiple syringes of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC. During your consultation the Spa 35 skin specialist can provide a more accurate estimate of the number of syringes recommended to help you reach your goals and the current price per syringe.
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM ALLERGAN
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel is indicated for deep (subcutaneous and/or supraperiosteal) injection for cheek augmentation to correct age-related
volume deficit in the mid-face in adults over the age of 21.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC is contraindicated for patients with severe allergies, manifested by a history of anaphylaxis or history or presence of multiple
severe allergies, and a history of allergies to gram-positive bacterial proteins or lidocaine.
• JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel must not be injected into blood vessels and should not be used in vascular-rich areas. Use in these areas, such
as glabella and nose, has resulted in cases of vascular embolization, occlusion of the vessels, ischemia or infarction, or blindness. Symptoms of vessel
occlusion and embolization include pain that is disproportionate to the procedure or remote to the injection site, immediate blanching extending beyond the
injected area, and color changes that reflect ischemic tissue such as a dusky or reticular appearance
• Product use at specific sites in which an active inflammatory process (skin eruptions such as cysts, pimples, rashes, or hives) or infection is present should
be deferred until the underlying process has been controlled
• The safety and effectiveness for the treatment of anatomic regions other than the mid-face have not been established
• As with all transcutaneous procedures, dermal filler implantation carries a risk of infection. Follow standard precautions associated with injectable materials
• The safety for use during pregnancy, in breastfeeding females, and in patients with very thin skin in the mid-face region has not been established
• The safety for use in patients under 35 years or over 65 years has not been established
• The safety in patients with known susceptibility to keloid formation, hypertrophic scarring, and pigmentation disorders has not been studied
• JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy
• Patients who are using products that can prolong bleeding (such as aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and warfarin) may experience increased
bruising or bleeding at treatment sites
• Patients who experience skin injury near the site of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC implantation may be at a higher risk for adverse events
• Patients may experience late onset nodules with use of dermal fillers including JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC
• Patients should be limited to 20 mL of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC per 60 kg (130 lbs) body mass per year. The safety of injecting greater amounts has
not been established
• JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC should only be used by physicians who have appropriate experience and who are knowledgeable about facial anatomy and the
product for use in deep (subcutaneous and/or supraperiosteal) injection for cheek augmentation
Side effects in > 5% of subjects were temporary injection-site tenderness, swelling, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, pain, redness, discoloration, and
itching. They were predominantly moderate in severity, with a duration of 2 to 4 weeks.
To report an adverse reaction, please call Allergan Product Surveillance at 1-877-345-5372.
For more information, please see the About Safety page at www.juvederm.com or call the Allergan Medical Information line
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC injectable gel is available by prescription only.